The information on this screen is no longer current and is provided for educative and historical purposes only. Please refer to the disclaimer.
Telstra welcomes decision to register industry code
Telstra welcomed the announcement today by the Australian Communications and Media Authority that it intends to register the improved Telecommunications Consumer Protection Code.
According to Telstra Executive Director Regulatory Affairs, Jane van Beelen, “Telstra has been a key contributor in delivering this improved industry code while, at the same time, working to simplify our offers and better protect our customers against bill shock.
“These are just a couple of the initiatives that we’ve invested in over the past few years to improve customer service as we know that reputation is tied to customer service and we want to be known as the best in the industry.”
Ms van Beelen said that improving customer service continued to be a company-wide priority a Telstra.
Recent initiatives include:
- Introducing initiatives designed to reduce ‘bill shock’; for example post-paid mobile customers receive alerts via SMS when they reach 80 percent and 100 percent of their monthly usage, and customers can monitor their usage via online billing or the ‘My Data Usage Meter’ on Telstra handsets;
- Introducing consumer mobile plans which deliberately avoid the use of the term ‘Cap’;
- Introducing ‘My Offer Summary’ to ensure greater clarity about what’s included and excluded in a plan, and a greater understanding of applicable fees and charges;
- Introducing a new bill for consumer customers – based on customer and staff feedback – that is designed to be easier to understand;
- Introducing a new simplified and convenient consumer self-service portal on Telstra.com; and
- Expanding our line-up of educational how-to videos on Telstra’s YouTube® KnowHow channel (e.g. new mobile bill explainer and international roaming videos on http://www.youtube.com/telstra
Ms van Beelen acknowledged that “we still have a way to go, and the industry as a whole needs to do more before we can declare a real victory for consumers, but we’re confident this code is a step in the right direction.
“Telstra has a long-standing commitment to the industry co-regulatory process and we are committed to complying with all relevant legislation and industry regulation. We have a comprehensive compliance program and have taken steps to ensure that the new code is incorporated into this program,” Ms van Beelen said.
Reference Number: 192/2012