We will consider several criteria when we are determining the location of a payphone facility in an area. These criteria include:
- Is the site accessible to customers and Telstra staff and contractors?
- Will the payphone be visible to customers?
- Is there telecommunications and 240v power infrastructure reasonably accessible?
- Are there other public or private payphones nearby?
- Are there complex technical installation constraints?
- Will there be potential site occupancy fees?
- What are the public safety and community consultation considerations?
- Are there any environmental impacts?
- Is there risk of damage to the payphone from vandalism or vehicular traffic?
- Is there risk of damage to the payphone from the elements or natural disasters?
We will also be mindful of the needs of people with disabilities in the siting of payphones, design of equipment and booths, and installation standards. Consultation regarding the provision of payphone services with groups representing people with disabilities will continue, particularly for TTY payphones.