Over 200,000 much loved and needed mobiles are lost or stolen every year across Australia.
Mobile phones are most likely to be stolen from cars or places like restaurants, pubs and clubs. Thefts from the home and workplace often occur as well. In other words, you can never be too careful.
But thanks to IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) blocking, your GSM or Next G™ mobile will be virtually worthless to thieves on any Australian GSM or Next G™ network. If your phone is lost or stolen, you can ask Telstra to block the use of the phone using the IMEI number. This means the phone cannot be used to receive or make outgoing voice calls except emergency calls and calls to Telstra customer support on 13 2200. We will also pass on the IMEI number of your phone to Optus and Vodafone who will also block it from use on their network.
To request blocking, call 13 2200.
If you’re a Telstra Mobile customer and you have lost your mobile or had it stolen, call 13 2200 immediately.
Top tips to look after your mobile:
- Never leave your mobile in your car.
- Keep your mobile on you, never put it down in a public place or leave it unattended.
- Make the most of your mobile’s security features. If you use PIN numbers, you are less likely to have to pay for calls a thief might try and make if your phone is stolen.
- Notify your network carrier immediately if your mobile is lost or stolen.
- Press *#06# to find out your IMEI number.
- Switch to vibrate mode in places where a ringtone might attract the attention of a thief.